This event is sold out. To be added to the waitlist, please email BCinfo@icd.ca.
Selecting, overseeing, and guiding the CEO in all sectors has long been understood as one of the Board’s mission-critical roles. A CEO has an outsized impact on an organization’s success, far beyond their tenure.
What has changed is the world around us? Whether leading an organization in the for-profit or not-for-profit sector, the CEO of today and the future must operate in a highly complex and rapidly changing world. They have less direct control over outcomes, less certainty and predictability, and more demands and expectations from a wide range of stakeholders and rightsholders. Both the research and the experience of Directors and CEOs show us that the profile for CEO success has shifted, meaning how we think about CEO profiles and CEO oversight needs to shift, too.
In this session, relevant for Directors and Executives alike, the panel will explore topics such as:
- Trends in CEO tenure, selection, and transition
- How the profile for CEO success has shifted and may shift in future, irrespective of the sector
- The impact of broad trends and forces such as ESG (and ESG issues), technology and digital acceleration, global complexity, public expectations of trust and transparency, demographic change, etc., on the CEO role and profile
- What Boards should think about in CEO succession, selection, and transition given these shifts
- Challenges, pitfalls and opportunities in CEO succession, and how Boards can navigate these
- How Boards can increase the odds of CEO success, both by improving selection decisions and through post-hire action and support
- The long game for leadership: the Board’s role in ensuring the organization is building leadership and culture for long-term resilience and success.
7:00 am PT Registration & Breakfast
7:30 am PT Session Start
9:00 am PT Session End
Non-Members: $65 + GST
H. Elise Rees