Many of us have witnessed a shift in the post-Covid Not-For-Profit (NFP) environment regarding the impact on staff and volunteers. Expectations have changed significantly leading to a shortage in the labour force. Recruiting and retaining skilled employees and volunteers has become a significant challenge that NFPs must navigate in the short-to-medium term horizon.
NFP Boards face constant challenges in overseeing the development of HR policies and practices, leadership succession, and ensuring a talent pipeline to fill key organizational roles. For small to medium NFPs with limited staff and volunteers, the Board’s role in the human capital development strategy, effective leadership succession, and talent management is crucial as it continues to align with the organization’s mission and vision and overseeing risk mitigation and compliance.
Human assets – staff and volunteers are the core and backbone of NFPs. The Board’s role in asking the right questions and a high level of engagement in the oversight role of Human Capital Management is vital to enhancing the delivery of the organization’s mission.
Our panelists will discuss how Boards can best engage in –
- Human capital strategies, best practices, key metrics, strengthening recruitment and retention.
- Workplace influencers/drivers and remote/hybrid work environments.
- Leadership succession planning, ensuring a talent pipeline to fill key roles.
- Policy development (overseeing HR policies and best practices).
- Risk management and compliance associated with talent management.
- Developing an ethical and engaging culture that supports the organization’s mission and values.
- Current (post Covid) challenges; and
- Developing risk mitigation strategies.
Our panelists representing a cross section of NFP Boards will share their governance roles and responsibilities and best practices with respect to Human Capital and Talent Management and what their organizations aspire to achieve while strengthening their core values and enhancing the delivery of their mission.
Session – 4:30 pm – 6:00 pm
Networking Cocktail Reception – 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm
Event Planning Committee:
- Mina Mawani, ICD.D
- Jenny Alfandary, ICD.D
- Carmine Domanico, ICD.D
- Sudhir Gandhi, ICD.D
Senior Vice President, AECOM
Executive Director, Settlement Assistance and Family Support Services (SAFSS)
Senior Director Equity, Diversity & Inclusion, Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment